Your Stairlifts Grants
Grants are available to some individuals via the local authority. As we also work for local authorities across the country, we’re able to give free, professional advice on claiming any grants that may help you.
The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme provides grants for works designed to address mobility problems in the home, such as the purchase and installation of grab-rails, a level access shower, access ramps or a stair-lift. It is primarily for older people, but people with disability can also access the scheme.
Mobility Aids Grant Scheme Changes in 2014
Changes to 3 housing grant schemes were announced in January 2014 and came into effect immediately. The changes to the Mobility Aids Grant Scheme are:
- Income of all household members will now be included in the means test (though Carer’s Allowance should be disregarded)
- Applicants must prove that they have complied with the Local Property Tax
The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government is preparing revised guidelines for the 3 schemes.
Mobility Aids Grant Scheme
The grant is available to people with a maximum household income less than €30,000.
The grant can be paid to people in:
- Owner-occupied housing
- Houses being purchased from a local authority under the Tenant Purchase Scheme
- Private rented accommodation (the duration of your tenancy can affect grant approval)
- Accommodation provided under the voluntary housing Capital Assistance and Rental Subsidy schemes
- Accommodation occupied by persons living in communal residences.
Your application will be prioritised based on medical need. Highest priority will be given to people who are terminally ill or where alterations/adaptions would facilitate discharge from hospital. When the local authority receives your application, it may request an Occupational Therapist’s (OT) assessment. The local authority can arrange for an OT assessment, but you can employ an OT to carry out an assessment and recoup up to €200 as part of the total grant up to the maximum you are entitled to.
Contact a member of the MMS Medical team and they will help you with any question that you might have. Lo Call: 1890-22-23-24